Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Standard Chartered is hiring

Standard Chartered, the bank where I work, is hiring – there are two vacancies for functional programmers in either London or Singapore. We’re looking for programmers to use Haskell full time (or more specifically, the Mu Haskell dialect), with the results used by many people, often the very next day. We write compilers, libraries, applications, web servers, DSLs and much more besides. All of the work is for use in house, and is usually geared towards finance, but no finance background is required. Standard Chartered has been using Haskell for over four years, and has hired lots of well-known Haskell programmers, including Lennart Augustsson, Ravi Nanavati, Malcolm Wallace, Roman Leshchinskiy and Don Stewart.

We’re looking for proper hackers – people who can quickly write top-quality code in response to what our users need. We have a large existing Haskell code base, which lots of people are continually developing, so experience with larger Haskell projects would be a plus. To apply, send a CV to neville.dwyer AT sc DOT com, and make sure the CV includes links to anything you’ve written on programming (Twitter, StackOverflow, blogs, academic papers) and links to any open-source software you may have written (github, hackage). If you have any more general questions feel free to email me.

6 comments:

lbolla said...

Amazing! It's the first time I see Excel used as an IDE...

Lennart said...

Excel is a truly horrible IDE. :)

Nicolas Frisby said...

Hopefully this doesn't put me on some blacklist, but…

How do you feel about working at a big bank corp?

As some who would love a Haskell job, I find myself considering the "worthwhileness" of jobs at banks. In my complete ignorance, my hunch is that it's very technically exciting, but morally gray.

What would those of you with so much experience using FP at these banks say to this question? Thanks for your time.

Anonymous said...

Do you know if there is a position for someone who has an expertise in C++, good knowledge of functional programming in general (SICP, PLAI) and a basic knowledge of Haskell.

Thanks

Neil Mitchell said...

Nicolas: I wrote a response for you on my iPhone then discovered I couldn't post to blogger from my iPhone, and its been rumbling around clipboard buffers ever since.

There is no blacklist. I enjoy working at a bank - we solve interesting problems, with a strong demand for above-average solutions. I occasionally wonder about the worthwhileness of any software - most of my software is really just software for writing better software! But in the end, it's about making people more efficient, more effective and letting them focus on what they really should be doing - and being inside a bank doesn't change that. As for morality, those questions are best answered in the pub with beer.

Anon: At the moment, strong Haskell is what we're mainly interested in. We may well have other vacancies in the future.

Nicolas Frisby said...

I have the same exact "in the end": my goal is to write enabling software, and I have so far focused on enabling programmers.

Because I appreciate the proposition "morality discussion => pub ^ beer", I'll just wait for they day we have that chance to continue this discussion :).

Thanks very much for your response.